General Meeting Minutes for 1973
A General Meeting of the British Mathematical Colloquium was held in the Roscoe Building, University of Manchester, at 2.00 p.m. on Wednesday 28th March 1973.
Professor I G Macdonald was in the chair.
- The Chairman welcomed the guest speakers Prof M H A Newman, Prof M F Atiyah, Prof J Tits, and Dr B J Birch.
- The minutes of the General Meeting at Glasgow were read and approved.
- The accounts of the 24th Colloquium were read and approved.
- Prof G Horrocks, on behalf of the University of Newcastle, invited the 1975 Colloquium to Newcastle. The invitation was accepted with acclamation. The dates for the Colloquium were given as 8 - 12 April 1975.
- The following retired from the Committee:
Prof J Eells, Prof M E Noble.
The following were elected to the Committee:
Prof W Ledermann, Prof A O Morris.
- It was announced that the Committee would meet at 8.30 p.m. in the Library at Owens Park.
- Prof R A Rankin proposed a vote of thanks to the Chairman, Secretary and others who had helped in arrangements for the Colloquium. Prof R A Rankin expressed the view, which he felt that Prof M H A Newman had been too modest to express, that the flourishing state of Pure Mathematics in this country today is largely due to the establishment of the B.M.C. in Manchester 24 years ago in 1949. He also hoped that the Colloquium would meet again in Manchester in 1998.
Minutes signed by Walter Ledermann (undated).