To celebrate the 100th birthday of Emma Castelnuovo UMI (the Italian Mathematical Union) has published a special issue of its journal dedicated to her (La Matematica nella Società e nella Cultura, 6). It contains articles on various aspects of Emma's career and personality.
Emma Castelnuovo Note
For a full account of Emma's life see:
M Menghini, The commitment of Emma Castelnuovo to creating a new generation of mathematics teachers, in:
K Bjarnadóttir, F Furinghetti, J Prytz and G Schubring (eds.), Dig where you stand 3 (Department of Education, Uppsala University, Uppsala, to appear).
In the list of the websites at the end of Emma Castelnuovo's biography (reproduced below) there are the addresses of the website containing the list of Emma's publication and the website from which most texts may be downloaded. Emma's legacy is outlined in the website by Lanciano. For the history and the main characters of CIEAEM see in the website of this Commission. For the history and the main characters of ICMI see the website designed by Furinghetti and Giacardi.
- CIEAEM, History, The International Commission for the Study and Improvement of Mathematics Teaching.
- C Fontanari, Emma Castelnuovo, Dipartimento di Matematica, Università degli Studi di Trento.
- F Furinghetti and L Giacardi, The first century of the International Commission on Mathematical Instruction (1908-2008), The history of ICMI.
- The Emma Castelnuovo Award for Excellence in the Practice of Mathematics Education, International Commission on Mathematical Instruction.
- N Lanciano, Mathematics, imagination and reality. The legacy of Emma Castelnuovo, Dipartimento di Matematica, Sapienza Università di Roma.
- M Menghini, M Barra, L Cannizzaro, N Lanciano and D Valenti, Pubblicazioni di Emma Castelnuovo, Dipartimento di Matematica, Sapienza Università di Roma.
- Sociedad Madrilena de Profesores de Matemáticas (S.M.P.M.).