Herstmonceaux Castle, East Sussex

The home of the Royal Observatory from 1957 to 1990 after its removal from Greenwich. (See London other institutions.)
In 1990 the Royal Observatory moved to Cambridge. It closed in 1998.
The buildings which housed the Observatory are now the Herstmonceux Science Centre.

In 1967, the Isaac Newton Telescope was opened at the Observatory. It is a 98 inch reflector, the largest in Western Europe. In 1979, because of the difficulties of observng with the poor weather in the South of England, it was moved to the observatory on La Palma in the Canary Islands and given a new dome and mirror.

To see an Ordnance Survey map click at THIS LINK

Search the Gazetteer:

Previous entry Next entry
Gazetteer Index Map form of the Gazetteer index
Main MacTutor index

An extract from The Mathematical Gazetteer of the British Isles created by David Singmaster

The original site is at THIS LINK