Stamford, Lincolnshire

In 570, Merlin of Caledonia mentions a university at Stamford, founded by Prince Bladud in 863 BCE.

In 1333, a number of Oxford students left Oxford after some dispute and set up at Stamford, principally at Greyfriars School, which was on the south side of St Paul's Street. Edward IV ordered the student to return to Oxford in 1335. Many of the students had come from Brasenose College and brought the famous Brazen Nose door knocker with them and this remained on the Brazenose Gate of Greyfriars School for several centuries; a replica is now on the Gate in St Paul's Street.

To see an Ordnance Survey map click at THIS LINK

Search the Gazetteer:

Previous entry Next entry
Gazetteer Index Map form of the Gazetteer index
Main MacTutor index

An extract from The Mathematical Gazetteer of the British Isles created by David Singmaster

The original site is at THIS LINK