References for Liu Hui
- H Peng-Yoke, Biography in Dictionary of Scientific Biography (New York 1970-1990).
See THIS LINK.
- J-C Martzloff, A history of Chinese mathematics (Berlin-Heidelberg, 1997).
- J-C Martzloff, Histoire des mathématiques chinoises (Paris, 1987).
- K Shen, J N Crossley and A W-C Lun, The nine chapters on the mathematical art : Companion and commentary (Beijing, 1999).
- T S Ang and F J Swetz, A Chinese mathematical classic of the third century : the 'Sea island mathematical manual' of Liu Hui, Historia Math. 13 (2) (1986), 99-117.
- S S Bai, A re-examination of a ring area problem in the 'Jiu zhang suanshu' (Chinese), Beijing Shifan Daxue Xuebao 30 (1) (1994), 139-142.
- E I Berezkina (trs.), Two texts of Liu Hui on geometry (Russian), in Studies in the history of mathematics, No. 19 (Russian) (Moscow, 1974), 231-273.
- K Chemla, Different concepts of equations in 'The nine chapters on mathematical procedures' and in the commentary on it by Liu Hui (3rd century), Historia Sci. (2) 4 (2) (1994), 113-137.
- K Chemla, Relations between procedure and demonstration : Measuring the circle in the 'Nine chapters on mathematical procedures' and their commentary by Liu Hui (3rd century), in History of mathematics and education: ideas and experiences (Essen, 1992) (1996), 69-112.
- C Cullen, Learning from Liu Hui? A different way to do mathematics, Notices Amer. Math. Soc. 49 (7) (2002), 783-790.
- J W Dauben, The 'Pythagorean theorem' and Chinese mathematics : Liu Hui's commentary on the gou-gu theorem in Chapter Nine of the 'Jiu zhang suan shu', in Amphora (Basel, 1992), 133-155.
- Y Z Dong and Y Yao, The mathematical thought of Liu Hui (Chinese), Qufu Shifan Daxue Xuebao Ziran Kexue Ban 13 (4) (1987), 99-108.
- L S Feng, 'Jiu zhang suanshu' and Hui Liu's theory of similar right triangles (Chinese), in Collected research papers on the history of mathematics, Vol. 1 (Chinese) (Hohhot, 1990), 37-45.
- D W Fu, Why did Liu Hui fail to derive the volume of a sphere?, Historia Math. 18 (3) (1991), 212-238.
- S C Guo, Liu Hui's great contributions to mathematics : celebrating the 1720th anniversary of his commentary on the 'Jiu zhang suanshu' (Chinese), Math. Practice Theory (3) (1983), 75-79.
- X H Guo, On Liu Hui's 'qiyan method' (Chinese), J. Central China Normal Univ. Natur. Sci. 20 (3) (1986), 400-408.
- W S Horng, How did Liu Hui perceive the concept of infinity : a revisit, Historia Sci. (2) 4 (3) (1995), 207-222.
- D Liu, A comparison of Archimedes' and Liu Hui's studies of circles, in Chinese studies in the history and philosophy of science and technology 179 (Dordrecht, 1996), 279-287.
- R Mei, Liu Hui's theories of mathematics, in Chinese studies in the history and philosophy of science and technology 179 (Dordrecht, 1996), 243-254.
- S K Mo, 'Jiuzhang suanshu' ('Nine chapters on the mathematical art') and Liu Hui's commentary (Chinese), Stud. Hist. Nat. Sci. 19 (2) (2000), 97-113.
- H H Shou, L G Liu and G J Wang, An offset approximation algorithm based on Liu Hui's circle subdivision method (Chinese), Appl. Math. J. Chinese Univ. Ser. A 17 (1) (2002), 105-112.
- P D Straffin Jr, Liu Hui and the first golden age of Chinese mathematics, Math. Mag. 71 (3) (1998), 163-181.
- A Volkov, Calculation of pi in ancient China : from Liu Hui to Zu Chongzhi, Historia Sci. (2) 4 (2) (1994), 139-157.
- D B Wagner, A proof of the Pythagorean theorem by Liu Hui (third century AD), Historia Math. 12 (1) (1985), 71-73.
- D B Wagner, An early Chinese derivation of the volume of a pyramid : Liu Hui, third century AD, Historia Math. 6 (2) (1979), 164-188.
- X Q Wang, Elementary studies on pi in France in the 17th - 19th centuries and Liu Hui's cyclotomic rule (Chinese), J. Zhejiang Univ. Sci. Ed. 30 (1) (2003), 1-6.
- Z W Xi and S L Zhang, On the characteristic of the dialectical thought of the 'Jiu zhang suanshu' and Hui Liu's commentary (Chinese), Qufu Shifan Daxue Xuebao Ziran Kexue Ban 19 (4) (1993), 103-110.
- S C Yang, 'Ratio' and 'power' in Hui Liu's commentary on the 'Jiu zhang suan shu' ('Arithmetic in nine chapters') (Chinese), Dongbei Shida Xuebao (4) (1990), 39-43.