General Meeting Minutes for 1951
A General Meeting of the British Mathematical Colloquium was held in Wills Hall, Bristol, on September 12th, 1951.
- The minutes of the General Meeting held at Oxford in 1950 were read and approved.
- Professor Milne-Thomson offered the hospitality of the Royal Naval College, Greenwich, from Monday, July 28th , 1952 to Friday, August 1st , 1952, for the next meeting of the Colloquium. After some discussion this offer was gratefully accepted.
- The following members retired from the Committee:
H S Ruse,
- The following members were elected to the Committee:
T A A Broadbent,
J L B Cooper,
L M Milne-Thomson.
- The Constitution of the Committee was discussed and the Committee was requested to prepare a scheme for providing for resignations after a period of service of four years.
- The organisation and policy of the Colloquium was discussed in some detail. During the discussion various proposals were made to send invitations to [attend] the Colloquium to organisations such as Universities in the British Commonwealth, the British Council, the Society for Visiting Scientists, D.S.I.R. [Department of Scientific and Industrial Research], and possibly other Universities outside this country, and the Committee was asked to consider these suggestions.
It was further suggested that detailed titles of lectures be posted up before the beginning of each Colloquium, and that the name and address of the Organising Secretary be given on the portion of the original notice to be retained by the member.
- A vote of thanks was passed to Professor Dieudonné and to the organisers of the Colloquium.