Groups St Andrews 2013 in St Andrews
The Principal Speakers each gave a minicourse of four
lectures. Please see here for their titles.
The One-Hour Speakers gave a plenary lecture each. Please see here for their titles.
In addition, all attendees were invited to contribute a 20-minute talk.
The timetable was as follows:
The following talk schedule is available as a .pdf at THIS LINK.
The complete booklet of talk abstracts is available as a .pdf at THIS LINK.
Please note the latter was not made available in paper form by the organisers, unlike the full talk schedule which was in their welcome pack.
There was an extensive social programme. Events included:
- Walking tours. After dinner on the evening of Sunday 4th there was semi-guided walking tours of the beautiful town of St Andrews, ending at a local pub. Tours departed from the two residences at 8pm.
- Historical talk and champagne reception 2013 is the 600th anniversary of the founding of the University of St Andrews. As part of the celebrations there was a plenary historical talk on Monday 5th by Edmund Robertson, followed by a champagne reception in the main conference coffee area.
- Whisky tasting After dinner on the evening of Tuesday 6th there was a whisky tasting in Lower College Hall, one of the historic buildings of the university.
- Excursion to Falkland Palace After lunch on Wednesday 7th there was an excursion to Falkland Palace, former home of Mary Queen of Scots (amongst others). As well as a tour of the palace, there was time to explore the beautiful grounds, and tea and a scone was provided at a local cafe. The weather was good, and there was an alternative excursion consisting of a bracing walk through the local countryside.
- Musical evening Peter Neumann and Tara Brough kindly agreed to organise a musical evening after dinner on Thursday 8th. Participants came along either with instruments, or just to listen, or (for the bold) to dance! The musical evening took place in Upper College Hall.
- Conference banquet This was held on the evening of Friday 9th, in the Gateway building, at 7pm for 7.30pm. After dinner there was a band, and a cash bar: the band had previously played for the British Combinatorial Conference here in St Andrews in 2009, and this was our chance to show that we group theorists can out-boogie the combinatorialists!
- Survivor's party For those with any energy left, we reserved a room in a nearby pub on the evening of Saturday 10th for a Survivor's Party.
Back to the Main Groups St Andrews page