Mathematicians Of The Day
On this day in 1884 The International Meridian Conference referenced mean solar time to the 24 standard meridians each of 15 degrees longitude. The international date line was then established to generally follow the 180th meridian in the Pacific Ocean.
Click on Ⓟ for a poster.
- 1535: Giambattista della Porta Ⓟ
- 1864: Ludwig Schlesinger Ⓟ
- 1874: Robert d'Adhémar Ⓟ
- 1913: Andrzej Mostowski Ⓟ
- 1919: Hermann Bondi Ⓟ
- 1920: Ambrose Rogers Ⓟ
- 1926: James Serrin Ⓟ
- 1942: Vitaly Vitalievich Fedorchuk Ⓟ
- 1922: Fritz (Friedrich) Bützberger
- 1962: Thomas MacRobert Ⓟ
- 1971: Leonard Jimmie Savage Ⓟ
- 2000: Ruth Michler Ⓟ
Quotation of the day
From Hermann Bondi
We find no sense in talking about something unless we specify how we measure it; a definition by the method of measuring a quantity is the one sure way of avoiding talking nonsense...