Mathematical teaching and research at the University of St Andrews began in 1668 with the appointment of James Gregory as the first holder of the Regius Chair of Mathematics. He was proposed for the chair by his friend Robert Moray, a graduate of St Andrews and member of the Royal Society. Moray together with Archbishop Sharp of St Andrews persuaded King Charles II to found the professorship.
|1857-1858||John Couch Adams|
|1859-1877||William L F Fischer|
|1879-1921||Peter Redford Scott Lang|
|1921-1950||Herbert Westren Turnbull|
|1950-1969||Edward Thomas Copson|
|1970-1997||John Mackintosh Howie|
|2017-present|| Kenneth Falconer